The Kennedy Point Estate
Susan McCarthy and Neal Kunimura moved from Hawaii to Waiheke Island with only the passion and determination to grow and produce quality Red Bordeaux style and Syrah wines. Sauvignon Blanc grapes grown in Marlborough were added to their selection of fine wine in 2000. Kennedy Point Vineyard, named for the Kennedy family who settled this area of Waiheke in the late 1800's, and still have an ancestral home on the Island today, was established in 1996 and their first harvest was in 1999. They are now Certified Organic.
The Kennedy Point Vineyard
The vineyard is planted on 2.5 acres. The beautiful site on the southeastern side of Waiheke Island in the Hauraki Gulf provides a steep north-facing slope for optimum ripening of the grapes. Their philosophy of following natural viticulture methods allow them to work with premium quality grapes and use a little interventions as possible in the wine making process.
The wine produced on this property reflects the essence of the land, and supports our belief that great wine is grown in the vineyard.
Organic viticulture aims to sustain and enhance the fertility and life- supporting ability of the soil by not using chemical fertilizers and sprays. The health of the land for the long range production of quality wine and olive oil is the goal of our organic process.
Kennedy Point is fully certified by Organic Farms N.Z. as of August 2010, an organic certification program designed for small producers; it follows the strict BioGro International Standards. It was established in response to the growing cost of organic certification and the global movement towards using locally produced organic products. Our wines are fermented with wild yeast which enhances the complexity and unique qualities of each wine, which reflects the terroir of the vineyard.
Kennedy Point Sauvignon Blanc is made from 100 percent Sauvignon Blanc.
Kennedy Point Vineyard makes a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc that captures the essence of the regional fruit. The grapes, grown in the hot, stony soils of the Wairau, produce a wine redolent of fresh cut wild flowers and a full palate of passion fruit, gooseberry and citrus. The wine has a crisp dry finish and is perfect as an aperitif, with seafood or any light summer meal.
Dark and chocolate, spiced with pretty notes of allspice and clove, this wine is round and rich, bursting with ripe berries, combined with an earthy complexity and a velvety finish.
Made from 42% Cabernet Sauvignon, 29% Merlot, 29% Cabernet Franc
The wine spent 22 months on 75% new French oak with the remaining 25% second vintage French oak. Select barrels from the best forests of Taransaud, Boutes, Quintessance, and Vicard cooperages.
A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (60%), Cabernet Franc (30%) and Merlot, this wine seems a little green out of the gate, with aromas of herbs, cocoa, vanilla, black licorice, woodspice and black fruit. The fruit flavors display the warmth of this region, with the tannins providing some heft, stretching out over time. - Wine Enthusiast 91 Points
Tamarack Cellars’ 2011 Ciel du Cheval Vineyard Reserve is an outstanding blend of 42% Cabernet Sauvignon, 29% Merlot and 29% Cabernet Franc that spent 22 months (each variety is kept separate until 12 months after the harvest) in 50% new and 50% once-used French oak. Classically styled, with lots of smoke tobacco, licorice and blackcurrant aromas and flavors, it has everything in the right place, in the right proportions, and is incredibly enjoyable to drink. Enjoy this medium to full-bodied, moderately tannic, balanced beauty over the coming decade, although it will probably last longer. - Robert Parker Wine Advocate 91 Points
Russian River Chardonnay Petersen is made from 100 percent Chardonnay.
Pear, peach, apple and a hint of flint.
Flavors of gorgeous baked apples with golden raisin and brown sugar, comice pear tart, apricot scone with clarified butter. What a fabulous creamy texture this wine has, despite no oak influence at all. This is testament to the incredibly lush fruit from the Petersen Vineyard, along with hands-off winemaking. So fresh, lively and mouthwatering, it’s like biting into an apple right off the tree. You can feel the juice dripping down your chin.