Bill Leigon created the name Red Phoenix. Leigon was inspired and moved by the courage and resilience of the people in Napa Valley in the face of, not only the Coronavirus Pandemic of 2020, but also the horrific fires in Napa Valley. In many cases people have had to rebuild their lives from the literal ashes of fires and disease. Despite seemingly insurmountable crisis, people have risen to the occasion, met every challenge and emerged stronger. Red Phoenix is a tribute to Hope that fills the human spirit and in the end, enabled the creation of a beautiful wine- Red Phoenix.
Red Phoenix Red Blend is made from 57% Zinfandel; 14% Petit Verdot; 12% Petite Sirah; 7% Syrah; 5% Merlot; 5% Cabernet Sauvignon.
With European origins dating back centuries ago, blended red wine is once again having its day in the sun. Red Phoenix Red Wine Blend represents the essence of this well-deserved resurgence. Unbound by a single varietal or appellation, and given more flexibility with vintages, winemaker Joseph Smith skillfully showcases six distinct varietals in this luscious and layered wine. Unlike traditional red blends, Red Phoenix is both barrel aged and barrel fermented, adding structure, balance, and a new dimension to a wine that is rooted in tradition and soars on the palate.
75% of the fruit is coming from Lodi AVA, while the remaining 25% are Napa Valley AVA's fruits.
Coastal aromas of fresh fruit and lush florals coupled with a deep ruby color intrigue the senses. Bright, bold flavors of cherry and blackberry ascend on the palate while showcasing subtle, smooth tannins. The wine crescendos with anise, chocolate and toasted oak, offering depth and complexity, as velvety flavors continue to linger and evolve throughout the long, rich finish.
62% Sangiovese, 28% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Syrah (percentage may vary). Among Tuscany's oldest and most prestigious wine families, Ambrogio and Giovanni Folonari teamed with Allen Shoup to produce a wine that showcases Washington State's terroir with plenty of Italian character. Saggi (meaning "wisdom") is a stunning blend of two outstanding Washington Sangiovese vineyards. Candy Mountain Sangiovese gives the wine its dark fruit flavors and appealing notes of anise. Dick Boushey's Yakima Valley Sangiovese, planted in 1992, adds vibrancy and liveliness. Because Cabernet Sauvignon has the potential to overtake Sangiovese, the Folonaris work closely with Sagemoor Vineyards to carefully select blocks of Cabernet they know from experience deliver elegant character and refined tannins. Syrah, also from Sagemoor, adds to the wine's dark color and rich mid-palate.
Shows cherries, chocolate and hints of cedar. Medium-bodied, tight and focused with a fine and silky finish. Pretty blend of 62% sangiovese, 28% cabernet sauvignon and 10% syrah. Drink or hold. -James Suckling 95 Points
Crème de cassis, ripe black cherries, licorice, and toasty oak all emerge from the 2015 Saggi Red Wine, which is a blend of 62% Sangiovese, 28% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 10% Syrah. With an inky color, full-bodied richness, fine, polished tannin and a great finish, it's another terrific wine from this estate that's going to evolve beautifully for 10-15 years.- Jeb Dunnuck 94 Points
Displaying full-bodied opulence, density, depth, structure, and complex aromas and flavors, our cabernet sauvignon is cultivated from some of the most sought after vineyards in Napa Valley.
The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley) is a gorgeous, racy wine that captures all the best the vintage has to offer within its peer group. Juicy red and purplish berry fruit, lavender and mint give the 2017 striking freshness and nuance to match its mid-weight personality. This is such a pretty and accessible wine. I would prefer to drink it over the next decade or so.
-- Antonio Galloni 92 Points
Well-built, with the vintage's warm and forward plum and blackberry preserve profile leading the way, while lush melted licorice and sweet spice accents fill in on the finish. A purely fruit-driven version, but the balance is there. Drink now through 2029. 4,330 cases made.
-Wine Spectator 92 Points